Taking care of one’s health is crucial for having a long and prosperous life. Often, we tend to compromise on our health as we get caught up in different ventures without realizing the toll they take on us. However, you may feel specific symptoms regardless of the measures you take to preserve your health. This means there is a possibility that you are suffering from a weak immune system disease or an overactive immune system. Such cases can be highly disheartening as you may feel these persistent weak immune system symptoms are holding you back and affecting your lifestyle. However, you can improve your immune system with certain lifestyle changes, including herbal remedies. Herbal remedies ensure you can naturally boost a weak immune system with minimal side effects. We have prepared a comprehensive guide to assist you with this, including understanding what causes a weak immune system. Without further delay, let’s dive into it.
Why is my immune system so weak?
There are many reasons why you may have a weak immune system. These are:
- Genetic disorders. Unfortunately, some people are born with certain conditions that naturally cause them to have a weak immune system. This condition is known as PIDD (primary immunodeficiency disease), which is rare but can still occur in adults. There are also autoimmune diseases, in which your body attacks healthy cells by mistaking them for foreign cells.
- Smoking and drinking alcohol. Cigarettes contain harmful compounds that can suppress your immune system and make you more susceptible to illnesses like cancer and lung infections. Similarly, alcohol reduces the bacteria and antibodies needed by your immune system.
- Poor diet. If your diet lacks the nutrients for a healthy body, it will lead to poor immunity. This is because the body cannot produce antibodies and immune cells necessary for a healthy immune system.
- Environmental factors. Certain environments, typically areas with a high amount of toxins and air pollution, can suppress immune cells in the body. This ends up weakening the immunity.
- Mental Stress. Mental stress results in immune cells not activating correctly and suppressing white blood cells. This means that the immune system is not able to function as intended.
- Lack of proper sleep and rest. Getting a certain amount of sleep and rest is crucial for helping your body recover. During this time, your body also restores immune cells, which enables you to fight infection. When you don’t get proper sleep and rest, your immune system is weakened by the lack of these cells.
- Age. As the body ages, it becomes weaker and less effective. This effect is also seen with the organs which produce immune cells. So as you age, fewer immune cells are produced by the body, weakening the immune system.
What are signs of a weak immune system?
How do you know if your immune system is weak? There are various signs of a weak immune system, which can serve as warning signs. The main ones are:
- Catching colds frequently. Getting colds is perfectly normal and typically happens during seasonal changes. This means that the average adult will catch a cold 2-4 times a year and then recover from this cold within 7-10 days. However, if you seem to be catching colds frequently, your immune system is struggling to battle the cold symptoms and is weakened.
- Having frequent stomach problems. The body’s digestive tract contains most of the microorganisms and bacteria that make up your body’s immune system. This gut bacteria helps prevent infection and ensures the body is healthy. However, if you constantly have stomach problems, like constipation and gas, your gut’s immune system is not operating effectively. This is one of the weak immune system symptoms.
- Having high stress. As we mentioned earlier, stress results in the suppression of the immune system. If you have a high amount of stress for a long time, this can cause the immune system to become suppressed.
- Getting frequent infections. Frequent infections are one of the most prominent signs of a weak immune system. This includes infections like ear infections, pneumonia, and sinusitis. Additionally, if you require antibiotics more than twice a year, this is also a significant sign of a weak immune system.
How to test immune system strength?
The primary weak immune system test is a blood test. Blood tests can help determine the blood and immune system cell levels in your body. If this level is outside the standard range that indicates a healthy immune system, there is likely some defect in your immune system. Additionally, blood tests can give other insights, such as showing if your body responds appropriately to infections and foreign invading cells. Depending on the results of your blood tests, your specialist may recommend other tests, like DNA tests, to check for genetic mutations and defects.
Herbal Remedies to Improve Your Immune System
Ginseng, American Root Extract
Ginseng root has been used for centuries for its numerous health benefits, including boosting immunity. This is due to its anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral properties that enhance various functions of the immune system. Studies have shown that ginseng extract can help increase the number of immune cells and boost antioxidants in the body. In traditional Chinese medicine, ginseng has been used to battle infections, fever, and asthma. Furthermore, American Ginseng root has been shown to decrease the frequency and severity of common colds. Ginseng extract is a herbal remedy that is very easy to administer. Simply shake the bottle well and take out a full dropper of the extract. You can administer it directly under the tongue or mix it with water and juice. You can take this extract thrice a day.
Chaga Mushroom Extract
Chaga mushroom is a fungus that grows in cold climates on the bark of birch trees. The inside of the mushroom is a bright orange with a cork-like texture, while the exterior is dark, like charcoal. It provides a range of immunity-boosting properties, which are concentrated in this extract. Chaga mushroom contains many antioxidants, preventing oxidation from damaging your body and immune cells. It also helps reduce inflammation inside the digestive tract, where most of the immune cells are present. Additionally, chaga mushroom can help protect the body from stress-induced conditions and suppresses the hyperactive function of the body that causes allergies. This ensures a robust immune system. This extract can be added to any hot and cold beverage using a full dropper and may be taken thrice a day.
Ginger Root Extract
Ginger root is a herbal medicine staple because of its extensive healing properties. Similarly, it also benefits immunity, concentrated through a ginger root extract. Ginger root has potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that are valuable against acute inflammation and can weaken the immune system. Furthermore, it contains anti-viral properties which help counter respiratory infections, like colds and coughs. These properties can also help soothe the stomach and digestive issues, usually associated with a weak immune system. This includes reducing bloating, indigestion, cramping, and nausea. The recommended dosage of this extract is as follows:
- Children 6 – 11 years: 1 dropper full two times per day. Take a single dose 30 minutes before travel. (Optional: and every 4 hours as necessary.).
- Adolescents 12 – 17 years: 2 droppers full two times per day. Take a single dose 30 minutes before travel. (Optional: and every 4 hours as necessary.).
- Adults 18 years and older: 2 droppers full two times per day. Take a single dose 30 minutes before travel. (Optional: and every 4 hours as necessary.).
The bottom line
Taking care of our health is essential, and our immune system plays a vital role in preserving it. However, various reasons can lead to a weakened immune system, which can cause multiple health problems and symptoms. You can identify a weakened immune system through different signs discussed in the article, alongside blood and gene testing, to determine how compromised it is. There are a variety of herbal remedies available that can help you boost your immune system. Ginseng root, chaga mushroom, and ginger root extracts are concentrated to ensure maximum benefits. They are very simple to administer, ensuring you have a quick and reliable way to improve your immune system.
We hope this article has been informative and enables you to preserve your health and immune system. Thank you for reading, and stay healthy!